Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Benefits to Wes

As I have seen more and more movies (and trust me I watch a lot of movies) I have decidedly narrowed down what I enjoy.
For starters, my favorite director is Wes Anderson. He is a cinematic genius.
His movies are so distinctly his that it makes me laugh. He has a way of accomplishing something while making it seem like he has accomplished nothing.


The Royal Tenenbaums was the first movie of his I ever saw. I was instantly in love. He developed all of the characters in the best way - they wore clothes that told of their personalities and left a lot of the deducing up to the viewer. It was an experience.


It started with the main characters as children and gave an explanation as to why they are not only strange, but estranged. Margot, as pictured above, was an exceptional playwright and achieved major success when she was in her early teens, as her two siblings. From watching the introduction, one learns quite a bit more than is explicitly stated.


The story also seems to unfold almost uncontrollably before your eyes. Everything seems to go awry, until all of the loose ends tie themselves right up. The Royal Tenenbaums was definitely one of the best stories I have heard in a long time. And as always, great stories make great films.
Anderson's most recent movie, Moonrise Kingdom, was had striking similarities to The Royal Tenenbaums, so I absolutely loved it.


Moonrise Kingdom had similar themes and even reoccurring characters. In both movies, one of the two lovebirds is depressed, someone is having an affair, the romance involves two people that probably shouldn't be together, and the main female character wears an obscene amount of eyeliner. I imagine it is just part of the illusion.


Anderson always uses clothing and inanimate objects to portray time period and the personalities of the characters.


Even though the love story involves two twelve-year-old's, you still root for them.

So if you haven't already ordered both of these movies in order to watch them and experience their power yet, I would encourage it. It'll certainly be an interesting afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment