Friday, November 23, 2012

If Pilgrims were alive today what would they be known for? Their AGE

Thanksgiving. Usually for me, that means getting together with my family and eating lots of food while playing video games and football with my cousins.
This year is a little different; unfortunately. 
My brother, father, and grandfather are all Cross-Country Skiing in Yellowstone for the whole week. 
They come back tomorrow, Saturday. 
Yesterday, they had a delightful Thanksgiving dinner with their skiing friends and each other and my mother and I were at home. We ate our Thanksgiving dinner at Sunsets; a restaurant that was serving a buffet on the day of thanks. Usually on Thanksgiving our extended family all gets together at someones' house and I get a chance to see all of my second cousins. But that was cancelled as well. And unfortunately for stereotypes, last night we watched The Notebook. We had just bought a set of four different movies based on novels by Nicholas Sparks. We will probably have them all watched come Sunday.
Speaking of Sunday, our immediate family (meaning my first cousins and their families) will be getting together at my house to at least give me some sort of family interaction this holiday season.
As for now, my teacher suggested watching the movie, Home for the Holidays, for a hilarious depiction of dysfunctional family get-togethers. I mentioned this title to my mother. Turns out we owned said movie and I did, in fact, watch it last night (but not before I watched The Notebook, mind you). It was quite entertaining and reminded me of the various shenanigans that always manage to happen at my personal family celebrations:
  • There is always a dispute over food (Who cooked it? Can we trust their cooking?). I also have Great Aunts that believe their food is the best and insist on doing all of the work, even in their old age.
  • There is always a tournament of any sort of board game. Some years it has been Twister, Monopoly, and that game where you take over the world. Last year it was Scrabble.
  • There is always a big group photo.
See picture:
(From left to right) SJ (My Grandfather's Girlfriend), my Grandfather, me, my Dad, my Aunt Gretchen, my twin cousins Ben and Chloe, my Aunt Mary, my Uncle Jimmy, my brother Graham, and my Mom. Someone took this photo and turned it into a puzzle.
  • There is always a big group walk. Yes, a walk. After eating, some of the family members insist on going for a walk (no matter the weather conditions or house placement).

See picture:
(From left to right) Me, SJ, my Grandfather, my Mom, and my Dad.
At this particular family get-together my family wanted to go for a walk. But it was during hunting season. In order to avoid any of us being confused for deer and getting shot, they broke out all of the orange apparel and took a picture. SJ wanted to take the picture with us since we looked pretty impressive.
  • There is always the awkward time when everyone is sitting around drinking tea/coffee/hot chocolate. This time happens after we have eaten, finished our tournament, and gone for the appropriate walk. This time can only end with the departure of the guests or more food. People like to take pictures during this time.
See picture:
(From left to right) Me, my cousin Ben, my Aunt Mary, and my Uncle Jimmy. I remember this moment distinctly because my brother was making a fire and my Dad wanted to take a picture of everyone sitting together.

So - Thanksgiving. I love to eat (Mashed Potatoes...anybody?) and see my loving family. At least I have family, right?

Thanks for reminiscing with me all,
Maddie

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. They almost look like they should be in "Awkward Family Photos."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how the pictures were perfect for the given description of what happens at a family gathering. I enjoyed reading through the list because it certainly was relatable.

    ReplyDelete