Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pink as a Flamingo

When you are a kid, usually after you start school and before you hit puberty, you think you know it all. You don't, of course. This is the time in your life when you will embarrass yourself the most, but probably won't realize this until later because again, you don't know anything.
This fact came to my attention in small doses; quick visions of the overwhelming truth. I'd like to think that I have a handle on my immaturity, but just by thinking that I probably don't.
When I was young, probably seven or eight, I was afraid of taking showers. Don't ask me why - I don't have a rational explanation for it. So naturally, I took baths. My bathroom was fully stocked with bath bubbles and those colorful little balls you can toss in to make the water...special, I guess. I never normally went near the stuff - it was much to fancy for me. One day, when I was feeling particularly bold, I ran the water for a bath and, after struggling with the plastic packaging, managed to break open the bottle of pink and purple bath balls. I tossed a healthy handful into the running water and climbed right in. I got all nice and fresh, stepped out of the bath, dried off, and got into my pajamas. I went to the kitchen to bid my parents farewell for the night. They took one look at me and were speechless. My mom came over and told me to look at my legs.
I did.
They were pink as a flamingo - my favorite color in fact.
Turns out that one bath ball does the trick. Who knew that if you put more than one in your legs will turn pink? My mom rushed me up the stairs and started running the shower, all the while yelling, "You must have been taking a bath in lotion!". I imagine she was worried about my sheets getting covered in pink.
I was worried that I had to use the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment