Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dislike with a Passion

One word I would rid the English language of is "hate".
I know, you just got a little inspired there.
Hate [heyt] verb, hat-ed, hat-ing, noun
verb (used with object)
1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry
2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.
3. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.
4. the object of extreme aversion or hostility
Synonyms
1. loathe, despise, detest, abominate, dislike, disgust, unworthy, etc.
Antonyms
1. love.
(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hate?s=t)
This word is currently one of the most overused and misused words (apart from like, but we all know that one) in the English language. Not only is it used to categorize the people in your life, it is a heavy word; predestining your enemies for the worst punishment. To hate someone is, in a sense, wishing they were dead. It is one of the most offensive and unneeded words that I have ever come across, and shouldn't be used casually. Similar to the misuse of the word love, many people claim to "hate" stubbing their toe and "love" chewing bubble gum.
I believe that a step towards a more peaceful and forgiving world (forgive my beauty pageant talk) is a world without words whose only purpose is to put people down.
My mother would always yell at me whenever I would claim to "hate" something or someone and always advised me to instead say, "dislike with a passion". This in a sense has the same literal meaning but is less derogatory.


No comments:

Post a Comment