Sunday, December 2, 2012

Artificial Fire

One thing it has appeared that I have learned is that I love language. Words have power and when put together, they can do it all. My deep appreciation for what words can do probably stemmed from my deep desire to read - which started probably from birth. I was hopelessly behind when it came to math and those awful multiplication tables (when the teacher sets the timer and you try to do as much as you can in one minute) that seem to hate me. But when it came to learning to read, I was the one all my classmates were impressed with.
More recently, I have discovered the gravity of speaking.
This past summer I worked as a camp counselor at a Christian camp. They taught me a lot of things about how to handle homesick campers, make a fire, and tell my testimony. One thing they never teach you is how to lead a group in prayer. This may seem easy, but it was my greatest weakness. Picture ten girls all standing in a circle holding hands. The counselor says a prayer; different every time, catered to whatever happened that we can be thankful for. You make it up on the spot and do your best to sound knowledgeable and wise.
I would find myself stumbling over my words; thanking the Lord for our food and the fellowship we have together, and finally ending with an amen and the friendly squeeze of the hands I am holding. Diction plays a big part in praying because you have a main point to get across and there are some words you can and cannot use.
This past summer I also took a trip to Paris with my friend, Erin, and her mother. None of us spoke French all that well. This wasn't that big of a problem and we were able to navigate the city quite well. Erin has cousins in France that offered to have her stay for a few weeks and the three of us spent a week in Paris to see her off.
I believe that French is just about the most beautiful and interesting language still spoken to this day. Erin's cousin Diane spent a few days with us and I would sit with her for hours learning words and writing them down. I don't remember a lot of them, but I do remember "feu de artifice" (Fou-Day-Art-Tea-Feece) and "libellule" (Li-Be-Lou). The first translates to "artificial fire". When Diane was trying to explain what it meant, she kept talking about artificial fire and using her hands to show explosions. After some time, I realized she was talking about Fireworks. The second means "Dragonfly". We were sitting outside and a Dragonfly flew by. She asked first what I called it and I replied, "Dragonfly". Then I asked what she called it. She answered, "Libellule". After some time of both of us repeating the word the other had said we came to realize that neither of us had quite understood the other. She had been repeating "Jack-and-fly" and I had been repeating "Libellulule" like it was Hawaiian or something.
So maybe one day I'll speak French as well as Diane.
We all can dream can't we?

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment