Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hal Hartley

Is a genius. I can't believe I even understood the meaning of cinema until I saw his films.
I'm exaggerating slightly, of course.


The Unbelievable Truth (1989) is one of my favorite movies of all time.
It is unbelievably great.
It begins with Josh (played by the wonderfully tan and fantastic Robert Burke), a supposed "mass murderer", being released from prison and hitchhiking his way back to Long Island, where he lived before he went to prison. Since he is a rather good mechanic, he finds a job fixing cars for Vic Hugo (take notice of creative character name), father of the beautiful, cynical, and sassy Audry Hugo (played by the late Adrienne Shelly).


And everything after that is a wonderfully entertaining blur of dry humor and creative character development.

This movie also has a score of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I know.
Normally, I don't pay too much attention to Rotten Tomatoes (mostly because they like to rate Wes Anderson movies rather poorly), but I have to make an exception in this case.

After I discovered that Hal Hartley directed this, I attempted to wildly watch a few more of his films in a rather obsessive manner.



They're all this great. I can't even handle it.


No comments:

Post a Comment